During his superintendent’s report, Aaron Moran extended commendations to:
* FFA member Maddy Buschur for being named President of the Ohio FFA Association
* FFA members Logan Brookhart for placing 1st in the State FFA Swine Placement Proficiency Award, Ted Schmitmeyer 1st in the State FFA Dairy Placement Proficiency Award, and Courtney Rose 1st in the State FFA Agriculture Communications Proficiency Award
* Jordan Henry for winning the Voice of Democracy Contest at Versailles High School and for placing 3rd at the district competition
* Sam Prakel for receiving the Student of Integrity Award from the Better Business Bureau
* the Engineering Design II class for placing first at the Trebuchet Competition
* Emily Franz, who is enrolled in the Medical Information Management Career Program at UVCC, for being selected to receive the 2013 Achievers Award for Versailles High School
* instrumentalists Hannah Grilliot (trombone), Emily Kramer (Euphonium), Kyle Wuebker (piano), and vocalist Chloe Rawlins for receiving a Superior (I) rating at their solo performances at the OMEA District XI Solo and Ensemble Contest
* Logan Brown, Abbey Didier, Kacie Lawrence, Jordan Henry, Josie Bowlin, Kelly Murphy, and Coleton Poeppelman for having artwork selected for exhibition at the annual Darke County High School Art Show at the Anna Bier Gallery
* first graders Grace Gasson, Matthew Fisher, Imagene Potter, Lucas Rhoades, and Joel Gehret and second graders Kalyn Justice, Kristopher Marshal, Alie Mangen, Wesley George, Carson Griesdorn, and Tyler Dirksen for reading at home for 200 days as part of their reading program
* Jessica Heitkamp and Justin Feltz for being crowned the 2013 Prom Queen and King
* the high school girls softball team for setting a new state record with eight home runs in a game, with Kayla McEldowney tying the state record with three home runs in a game
* the high school girls softball team for being MAC Champions
* PTO officers Penny Treon (President), Kim Hecht (Vice-President), Erin Rismiller (Secretary), and Brenda Schmitmeyer (Treasurer) for all their hard work in making the PTO program successful
In other action items the Board approved:
* overnight fieldtrips for selected members of the FFA to attend the FFA Camp Muskingum in Carrollton, Ohio on June 17-21, 2013, with advisor Dena Wuebker in charge and selected members of the FFA to the FFA Officer’s Retreat at Jim and Gayle Rismiller’s cabin in Rossburg, on July 1-2, with advisor Dena Wuebker in charge
* to accept with appreciation $100 from Farm Credit Services to the Versailles FFA for Farm Day and $200 for the FFA Banquet, $200 from the Eighth Grade Washington Trip to the Class of 2013, $250 from Phelan Insurance Agency to the Versailles FFA Banquet, $300 from Modern Mothers to Versailles Middle School, $350 from Ken and Tina Brand to the Versailles FFA Banquet, $400 from Jay Heitkamp to the Versailles FFA Banquet Auction, $440 from the Ohio FFA Alumni Association to Dylan Hesson towards the FFA Washington Leadership Conference, $450 from Michael and Leah Schmitmeyer to the Versailles FFA Banquet
* the following fees for the 2013-2014 school year: K and K+ ($25), Grades 1-4 ($45), and Grades 5-8 ($30)
* the list of 112 seniors of the Class of 2013 be approved for graduation pending they meet all requirements of the Versailles Board of Education and the State Board of Education
* Shirley Berger, Tom Donnelly, Donna Kissinger, and Joan Roll as substitute teachers for the 2012-2013 school year
* to authorize membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association for Versailles Junior High and High School athletics for the 2013-2014 school year
* to enter into an agreement for the 2013-2014 school year with the Darke County Educational Service Center which will serve as the fiscal agent for the Darke County Pre-School Cooperative. As part of this agreement, Versailles will release IDEA Part B funds in order that the Cooperative may fund such services as extended teacher time, staff development, purchase of supplies/equipment and other program excess costs for pre-school disabled children in Darke County.
* to extend the cooperative agreement with the Darke County Educational Service Center to commit IDEA Part B funds toward the employment of an adapted P.E. teacher, special education supervisors, speech therapist and a school psychologist who will all serve the Versailles School District on a part-time basis for the 2013-2014 school year.
* Nancy Albers, Sharon Pepiot, Kristen Schulte, Olivia Schlater, Megan Hemmelgarn, Sam Subler, Matt Subler, Natalie Grillot, Tammy Berger, and Gwen Keihl be employed for up to 235 combined hours a week of adult and 40 combined hours a week of student custodial maintenance and 15 combined hours a week of adult and 70 combined hours a week of student computer maintenance, on an as needed basis, with salary for Nancy Albers and Sharon Pepiot as per the schedule, and salary for Kristen, Olivia, Megan, Sam, Matt, Natalie, Tammy, and Gwen paid at minimum wage effective May 30 through the 2013-2014 school year
* grant a one year contract to Andrew Foltz as a Language Arts, Social Studies, and Reading Teacher at Versailles Middle School beginning with the 2013-2014 school year
* grant Rachel James and Sarah Mendenhall one year contracts for the 2013-2014 school year
* accept with regret the resignation of Marlene Bergman due to retirement as an Assistant Media Specialist and A.D. Secretary effective May 31, 2013
During items for discussion, Superintendent Moran informed the Board of upcoming policies that will be approved before July 1. Policies on the Ohio Teacher Evaluation System and Interim End-of-Course Assessments will be recommended for approval at June board meeting.
The next regular board of education meeting is scheduled for June 25, 8 p.m., at the Versailles Board of Education office.